THE THORNS OF BALM

by Anna-chan

PART XI

FINAL CHAPTER

"Wait!" said Usagi. "Don't break the circle yet!"

"But you're exhausted," said Mamoru, still holding hands with the other senshi in the alley. They had been trying all night to break into Jigoku's kimon, and Usagi looked ready to drop. "I hate to give up, but this just isn't working."

"Wait. I think . . . I think I feel it, like something just happened down there. Something Kunzite did. Yes . . . there it is! Hang on, everyone! We're goin' in!"

Mamoru and the senshi huddled close over the opening vortex. Following Usagi into Jigoku wasn't as terrifying or painful as being pulled in by Kunzite, but Mamoru's adrenaline still surged as they all spiraled into the fissure.

Inside the Dark Kingdom, a tangled labyrinth lay between their entrance point and Beryl's audience chamber. But Mamoru, having lived there for a while during the Second Awakening, knew the way. And because everyone had transformed into their senshi selves, they could fly.

A rose already in hand, Mamoru led the party straight to Beryl, but he couldn't have expected such a sight as this. A land slide had just crumbled the west wall and smashed the beautifully polished, obsidian floor. Kunzite's body lay on the heap of rubble, with Ami cradling his head in her lap. Beryl looked caught between fight and flight. Crying and squirming in the claws of an attendant youma was Usa.

Mamoru squinted at Beryl as Usagi and the other senshi gathered behind him. The dark queen looked panic stricken. Not herself at all.

"She's not allowed to kill directly, or her staff loses its power," said Ami, still holding the demon lord in her arms. "Kunzite's almost gone. Then you can stop Beryl with little trouble."

That was all Mamoru needed to hear. He lunged at the queen, who fled toward the back recesses. But Beryl stumbled over her dais, and Minako caught her staff. Grasping the torn hem of her gown, Beryl ducked through one of the exits, disappearing into the dark maze.

Minako turned to the youma. "Hand over the kid!"

The youma obeyed before scuttling away, and Mamoru took Usa into his arms. It was the first time he'd ever held his daughter. She was so small, her head fit in the palm of his hand. Her tiny, grasping fingers were pink . . . and so were her eyes! Pink as a rabbit's! She looked up at him and cooed.

Rei, seizing Usa's wand from over the dais, said, "Hurry, Mamo-sama! Before Beryl gets away!"

But when Mamoru turned to give Usa to her mother, he found Usagi lip-locked with Kunzite.

"What're you doing?" he cried.

Usagi kissed a little longer, then looked up. "We can't just let him die! He got us through the kimon!"

"And he did save my life," added Ami.

"But--" Mamoru glanced toward Beryl's escape.

"I got her witchy-stick," said Minako. "Beryl ain't goin' far without it!" Minako stroked the smooth, glass globe at the end. "This thing is cool."

Usagi's lips were back on Kunzite's, and Mamoru saw the demon lord's arm twitch slightly.

"Usako," said Mamoru. "You're draining yourself!"

She lifted her face, which was just a touch more pale than before. "There," she said. "That's enough to keep him alive, I think."

"If you wanted to save Kunzite," said Makoto, standing beside her, "you should've let one of us kiss him. You need all your energy."

"Sorry. There wasn't time to think about it. Give me my baby."

Color returned to Usagi's cheeks as she drew Usa into her arms and nuzzled the infant's forehead.

"She's got pink eyes," said Mamoru.

Usagi beamed, tears flooding the corners of her lashes. "They're beautiful. She's the most perfect baby I've ever seen. And she's even dry! Where'd she get the cute, little diaper?"

"You and Mamoru had better hurry," said Ami. "I'll hold Usa."

"Right." With obvious reluctance, Usagi passed the baby to Ami and struggled to her feet. "If Beryl thinks her powers are gone, we'll be able to psyche her out. Minako, keep the youma off Kunzite. Rei, Mako-chan, protect Ami and Usa. Don't lose Beryl's staff."

"Don't worry," said Minako. "I wanna keep it!"

Mamoru cleared his throat. "Let's go!"

Taking Usagi's hand, Mamoru half ran, half flew through the dim caves. He knew that Beryl would probably be heading toward the sanctum where her own, dark master slept. Racing on, he almost carried Usagi. Her right hand clung to Mamoru while her left hand pressed her crescent wand to her bosom.

They caught up to Beryl and cornered her against a small, stone alcove.

"You were mine," pleaded Beryl, cowering before Mamoru. "Don't you remember the Second Awakening? You used to kiss my hand!"

Mamoru's arm drew back like a coiled spring, then he shot a long, red rose, hitting Beryl just above her heart. Red streaks spread like crystal fissures from the not-quite-fatal wound.

"Prince Mamoru!" cried Beryl, sinking to the ground. "I never wanted to hurt *you!*"

"Usako," said Mamoru. "Put her to sleep."

Focusing her energy, Usagi raised her wand. But then she paused. Lowered it.

"Wait a minute," she said.

"What now?" snapped Mamoru. "We got her down! Finish her!"

"But the last time I put her to sleep, the whole Dark Kingdom disintegrated!"

"So? We'll get out."

"We'll never find Zoisite in time!"

"But . . . but . . . " Mamoru's shoulders sank. Usagi was right, of course. "But Zoisite helped them steal Usa!"

"Do you really believe that?" said Usagi. "Can you just abandon her?"

Mamoru's fists opened and closed. He had Beryl at his mercy! He could take her out right now, and save everyone a lot of trouble and bloodshed! He . . . he . . .

"Can you leave Zoe, who's carrying your baby, to fry to death in some dark cell in Jigoku?"

Mamoru sighed. "No."

"Go find her," said Usagi. "I'll cover Beryl until you come back."

Mamoru conjured a second rose and handed it to Usagi. "Just in case it takes me a while."

"Go on! Hurry up!"

Mamoru realized, flying through the passages to the lower levels, that if Usagi had been able to complete Yutate Sai and "heal" him, he might've lost his Jigoku memories. He still felt just enough connection with the Dark Kingdom to navigate the poorly lit tunnels and caves.

But how far down was Zoisite?

This place was as big as a mountain, thought Mamoru. It could take weeks to find her! And every minute spent searching for Zoisite gave the oni forces more time to slaughter the people of Crystal Yedo. If Usagi just took care of Beryl now, the oni would fall out of enchantment, the battle would end, and countless lives would be saved.

All this death just for the sake of Zoisite! Who's individual life was worth that much?

Mamoru stopped, pressed the palm of his hand against the stone, which felt cooler down in this level. He thought he should just return and tell Usagi he couldn't find Zoisite and that it was imperative to finish Beryl now, before Crystal Yedo was completely destroyed. Usagi would be upset, but she would obey him if he commanded her. That would be the wisest course.

*How convenient, not to have to deal with Zoisite anymore,* accused the still, small voice.

Gritting his teeth, Mamoru told that voice to shut up. He didn't choose his destiny. He didn't want it! But there was still the responsibility, and sometimes conscience had to give way to pragmatism. Pivoting, he took a deep breath, preparing for his return flight.

. . . until a presence tugged at his soul. Mamoru wondered, was it his unborn child calling to him? Or was it . . .

Opening his hand, he watched a pale, green shoot sprout from his wrist, blossoming with crimson petals. The thorns were tender, little nubs that sparkled at the tips. Damn! thought Mamoru, shutting his eyes. He could feel her! Or at least feel her thorns pulling at him. As long as they still grew and thrived within Zoisite, there was no way he could just turn around and forget her.

"All right, all right!" he shouted out loud, freeing one of the glow-lamps from the wall and sailing down toward the lower levels. "I'm coming!"

Zoisite touched her cheek and found it caked with the fine, dry salt of spent tears. Licking her fingertips, like a cat, she began to unconsciously clean herself. An emotion symphony, playing through hysterical cadenzas of shame, fear and anger, had left her feeling too numb to cry anymore. Now she just wanted to become like the cold stone under her bare knees--an empty, gray slate that didn't care if it lived or died. Something that could wait forever.

But the blanket was still a warm hand on her back, not letting her completely detach. How unexplainable, she mused, that she should still desperately want to live, and yet feel ready and willing to lay down what was left of her life for . . . for . . . Kunzite? Usa? Her own child? She didn't know. Maybe for everyone.

Zoisite's nostrils suddenly flared, and a tingling spread from her belly, through her limbs. Holding her breath, she scanned the darkness. She crouched low against the stones and silently peered through the stalactite bars, fearing that any reflected light might make her green eyes glow.

"Zoisite!" called Mamoru from beyond the cave walls.

"Mamo-chan!" Zoisite bounded forward, her fear shattered by the familiar voice. "Mamo-chan! I'm over here!" She pressed her face between the bars.

She saw her liberator in a trim tuxedo with a lighted globe in one, gloved hand and a rose in the other. His long, black cape swept the air as he ran.

"Zoisite!" he said, panting, pulling the white mask from his eyes. "This cell's not even warded! You can bust outta here!"

Zoisite's hands wrapped around the thick lengths of stone that imprisoned her. "No, I can't! You still have my powers!"

"Oh, right. The oath is gone, but I haven't given your powers back, have I?" Mamoru stepped aside. "Zoisite, take back your powers, and make ice now!"

Nodding, she backed up, opened both hands and pelted the stalactites and stalagmites with ice shards. After about a minute, the more slender bars started to give, and Mamoru said, "That's enough. Don't tire yourself." He kicked at the stone until it crumbled enough to let himself climb in.

"You okay?" he said, extending a hand.

Zoisite threw herself at Mamoru and cried into his shirt. Her sobs were like violent, painful hiccups. They shook the blanket off her shoulders.

"Zoe?" said Mamoru. "I . . . uh . . . I'm happy to see you, too."

There was so much Zoisite wanted to say, but for a while all she could get out were uncontrollable sobs. Her eyes felt like two broken dams, and she clutched at his waist until he finally put his arms around her. She felt his chin hesitantly touch her head.

"Mamo-chan, I . . . I swear I never took little Usa! I didn't know anything! I mean, it *was* my spell, but I never finished it, and I forgot all about it . . . it was so long ago!"

"Shhh. I know."

Zoisite felt Mamoru's trembling fingertips brush the tears from her cheek. "You believe me?" she said, blinking up at him.

"I have to. Now, let's go. I don't know how long Usagi can hold Beryl."

"Beryl took the baby!" sobbed Zoisite. "I cared for little Usa as best I could!"

"The baby's fine. Can you stand up?"

"Beryl says I turned her oni when I nursed her! It's not true, is it?"

Mamoru knit his brows. "Did Usa always have pink eyes?"

"Huh?" said Zoisite. "I don't know; it was too dark here to tell."

"Um . . . never mind. C'mon, Zoe." Mamoru eased her to her feet, then half carried her out of the cell and into the larger cavern. "Take your powers back and fly with me."

Still holding her bare shoulders, Mamoru stepped back and regarded her, making Zoisite suddenly aware of her nakedness. She tried to cover herself with Nephrite's blanket.

"You're a little underdressed," said Mamoru, starting to unfasten his cape. "You can wear my--"

A white flash from the blanket knocked him back. Zoisite yelped as the thick cloth she had been holding suddenly came to life.

"Mamo-chan!" she said. "What . . . what's happening?" The blanket, splitting into white ribbons, coiled itself around her legs, arms and torso. A double pulse of energy ignited from within her belly and between her eyes, bending her backwards. She felt her toes leave the ground, arms stretching upward, fingertips reaching. The strange material of the blanket tingled against her skin.

When the blinding light faded, and Zoisite's toes touched ground, Mamoru was squinting up at her from the floor with that odd expression that overcame him during flashbacks.

"What's wrong?" said Zoisite between breaths. She glanced down at herself and gasped. It was her old uniform from a thousand years ago in the Royal Guard! A white tunic over white leggings and fitted sleeves. Gaping, she wriggled her toes inside their cloven slippers.

"What . . . how . . . " Her fingers touched a warm spot glowing between her eyes.

"Zoi-chan!" said Mamoru, gaining his feet. "It's *you!* You're back!"

Before Zoisite could respond, she was in Mamoru's arms, getting the wind knocked out of her. He was squeezing her so tight, it almost hurt. His cheek pressed against the back of her neck. He was shaking all over.

"Mamo-sama?" said Zoisite. She blinked, stunned at herself. She hadn't called him "Mamo-sama" in a thousand years. It felt foreign, yet familiar on her tongue, like a hundred other old feelings and memories flooding her. "Are, are you okay?"

"I will be," choked Mamoru. "You have no idea what a close call this was."

"What do you mean? I'm one of your guardians, Mamo-sama. I'm destined to always be one of your guardians." Zoisite could hardly believe she was saying that.

Mamoru touched her face like a frantic, blind man. "I almost turned back . . . oh, never mind. We have to hurry!"

Zoisite flew ahead of Mamoru, and when they neared the upper levels, Mamoru called out, "Where are you going? Beryl's not in the audience chamber!"

"But Kunzite is! We'll need his help!"

"Zoisite, wait!"

Zoisite raced on, sensing her partner's presence.

She found him lying on his back, surrounded by senshi.

"Beryl struck him," said Ami, passing the baby into Makoto's arms.

Zoisite dropped to his side. "Kunzite-sama? Kunzite-sama, wake up!"

Ami touched her back. "Let him rest. He'll be all right."

"Why did Beryl do this?"

"Because he saved me. Zoe, what's happened to you? Why are you in your old guardian clothes?"

"I no longer serve Beryl." Zoisite turned to Minako. "What're you doing with Beryl's staff?"

"Scaring off the youma," said Minako, grinning.

"Give me that! It's not a toy! Do you even know what this staff does?"

"Looking at Kunzite, I have a pretty good idea."

Zoisite snatched the iron scepter from Minako's hands. "It's been cursed by Beryl's master. It can only kill once."

"I know," said Minako. "I'll make it count."

"But whoever it kills never gets to return, as we do. The soul gets claimed by Beryl's master."

"Oh," said Minako. "Not even youma deserve that kind of end."

"But Beryl does." Zoisite took Mamoru's hand. "You know where she is. Take me there."

They found Beryl crawling before Usagi, wounded by the second rose. Spidery streaks spread across Beryl's thigh, where the flower still stuck in her flesh. The long locks of red hair hanging over her face couldn't hide her terror when Zoisite strode forth. Neither could her false smile.

"My . . . my Zoisite? What're you wearing? And what do you plan to do with that?" Beryl pointed at the scepter with one spiny fingernail. "Don't you know it died with Kunzite?"

"Kunzite lives, and so does this staff," said Zoisite. "I'm sending you to Hell, where you belong."

"Isn't this Hell?" whispered Usagi.

Zoisite shook her head. "Not compared to where Beryl is going."

With a piercing cry like that of a shot falcon, Beryl scrambled out of the stone niche where Usagi had cornered her. She fled on her hands and knees, dragging the wounded leg. Zoisite advanced like a stone-faced conqueror claiming a prize.

"Stay back," said Zoisite to Usagi and Mamoru. "I want to do this alone."

She let Beryl drag herself through the passage until they had rounded a corner out of sight and earshot. Then Zoisite aimed the scepter and blasted an overhang, filling the passage and halting Beryl's retreat. When Beryl rolled to her side, the front of her blue gown was oily and black.

"Now, now, Zoisite," said Beryl, her face as white as her eyes. "I didn't mean to hurt your Kunzite-sama. No one is more relieved than I am that he's alive--"

"Shut up!" Zoisite raised the staff like a club, it's dark energy palpable in her hands. Tempting, yet uncomfortable, like an unhealthy craving. Never having held Beryl's scepter before, she wasn't prepared for this alluring tug, this overwhelming power. No wonder Minako liked it; it made one feel invincible.

But it also filled Zoisite with indignant rage. She felt her anger bubbling to the surface, feeding and being fed by the staff. She was remembering every wrong Beryl had ever done her-- every lie, every empty promise and half truth. Her life in Jigoku had been a routine of cruelties to crush her spirit, to twist her into Beryl's tool. And Beryl would've merrily ended her wasted existence in torture.

"You deserve this," hissed Zoisite.

Focusing her rage and gathering it into the staff, she took a deep breath, ready to strike. The globe crackled with microcosmic lightning. Beryl cowered.

"Stop!"

*Ami?*

From the corner of her eye, Zoisite saw Ami stumbling breathlessly from the shadows. Usagi and Mamoru appeared behind her.

"Don't use Beryl's scepter!" panted Ami. Let Usagi use her wand instead!"

"Go back, Mercury. This isn't your battle."

"But if that scepter does what you said it does . . . we don't need to punish her that far! Usagi can just put her to sleep!"

"So she can awaken again and torment others?"

"Zoisite, condemning Beryl won't stop her master. And it won't erase any of the pain she's caused you." Ami stepped forward and placed her hand on Zoisite's arm. "This is only revenge!"

"And it's mine," said Zoisite, pushing Ami away. "Get back!"

Ami was covered with bruises, dried blood and dirt. Her fuku hung in shreds, and there were cuts on her face and arms. But the hardest thing to look at was the firm pleading in her eyes. Zoisite turned and forced herself to stay focused on Beryl.

Ami refused to back off. "Zoisite, why?"

"Because I've been enslaved to this monster long enough. You can tell Crystal Yedo and all the worlds that I will no longer serve Beryl!"

"That's true," said Ami. "If you do this, you will no longer serve Beryl. You will be serving Beryl's master."

Zoisite swallowed. The power surging through her from the staff flared against these words. Her hand made a fist, ready to knock Mercury to the ground. Why didn't Ami step aside? she wondered. Couldn't the foolish senshi feel the danger?

"Are you going to act on your hatred?" said Ami. "That's what got you into trouble in the first place."

Zoisite felt her face twisting into tortured lines of indecision, as pride battled with conscience. Deep down, she knew Ami was right.

Ami persisted. "If you let Usagi put Beryl to sleep, then Beryl may have a second chance at some future time to turn around."

"But this monster doesn't deserve a second chance!"

"Did you? Zoisite, you wear the clothes of a guardian, but you still have to choose which direction to face. This staff is an instrument of evil, and the soul it takes will never have a second chance. Can you really do that to someone?"

Zoisite lowered the staff, balancing the weight of the iron length against the globe. The swirling energy inside the glass orb looked smoky, brown and poisonous. She gritted her teeth. This was much harder than forgiving Mamoru, and even as she raised the staff one last time, she still did not know what she would do next. Beryl screamed.

At the last moment, with one violent swing, Zoisite smashed the globe against the cave wall. "There," she said, as the dark energy dissolved from the shattered crystal.

Momentarily drained and a little dazed, Zoisite slumped against the wall. Ami caught her. "I'm so glad," whispered the senshi into her ear. "Not for Beryl's sake, but for yours."

Zoisite could only meekly nod.

Usagi stepped forward and raised her wand over the stunned queen. But when she tried to focus the sleeping spell, her knees suddenly buckled.

"Usako!" cried Mamoru.

Usagi collapsed to the stones. Her wand clattered at Zoisite's feet. "I . . . I must've given . . . too much energy to Kunzite."

"Ha!" laughed Beryl, still squirming in pain from her wounds. "You squandered yourself, and now you're too weak to do the job!"

"Usagi, you must try again!" said Ami, hopping to her side. But Usagi hung her head. "I should've rested myself, like you said."

Zoisite glanced down at the crescent wand. Only those who shared the royal couple's bloodline could use it. That excluded Princess Mercury, who was from a different kingdom. And it certainly excluded . . . Zoisite frowned, touching her belly. Did it exclude her while she carried Mamoru's child? She felt Mamoru's thorns sparkle as her fingertips reached for the wand's gilded length.

"Mamoru," said Ami. "I know only women are supposed to handle it, and I don't know if it'll work for you, but under these circumstances--"

"Wait," said Zoisite, grasping the wand and rising to her feet.

"You can't use that thing," said Beryl.

"Yes, I can. I'm carrying royal blood."

Beryl snorted. "That bastard was conceived in hatred."

"So what?" said Mamoru. "Zoe loves her baby, and so do I. And we're going to raise it together, all of us." He turned to Zoisite. "Go ahead."

There was no time for Zoisite to ponder the unseemliness of wielding Empress Usagi's crescent wand. She felt unclean, after having held Beryl's scepter. She would gladly have Mamoru break matrifocal protocol and do this himself.

"Mamo-sama. I, I'm sorry . . . are you sure?"

"Just do it," said Mamoru. "We'll work out our problems later. I promise."

Zoisite nodded and raised the crescent wand over her head. It seemed to suddenly tap into all her hidden sources of confidence and strength. And when she looked down at Beryl, she saw a woman whose own past was at least as painful as hers. And even though Beryl was sneering up at her in contempt, Zoisite felt strong enough to have compassion for this twisted wretch. Now Zoisite knew, without any doubt, which direction she faced.

Bracing herself, feet apart, eyes closed, she felt a preternatural wind ruffle the edges of her white tunic. Its invisible fingertips brushed the hair from her face. This time she focused not hatred, but understanding, and whatever shreds of forgiveness she could feel. Beryl screamed in pain, but Zoisite knew it would soon be over. When the shrieking finally died, and Zoisite opened her eyes, Beryl was gone. Only scorched stone and ashes marked where she had knelt.

"Hurry," she said to the others. "Jigoku may be big, and it's true that we only inhabit the outermost edge, but it'll disintegrate quickly now."

"I remember," said Usagi, as they flew back to the audience chamber. "Last time, it was like lighting a big sheet of paper on fire, with the corners and edges curling up."

But when they joined the others in the audience chamber, Rei wouldn't leave.

"The youma aren't under Beryl's spells anymore," she said. "But they're trapped. I can feel them panicking."

"The ones who weren't sent to Crystal Yedo to fight," said Zoisite. "We keep most of them in cages."

"They're just elemental spirits. They don't deserve to die in this horrible place. We've got to rescue them before we leave."

"But there are thousands! And I don't know exactly how much time we have!"

"You can go," said the priestess. "But it's my duty to save them."

Zoisite glanced nervously at the exit, then at Rei. She sighed. "I'll have to help you, because you'll never find 'em all by yourself."

"Mako-chan and I can help too," said Minako."

"Then listen up," said Zoisite, clapping her hands. "Usagi, get Usa out of here. Mamoru, Ami, you can take Kunzite. Drag him if you have to, but don't try to teleport. The Dark Kingdom's too unstable right now. You'll have to use a kimon, and the nearest is that one that opens behind the arcade." She turned to Rei. "Let's go."

Flying as swiftly as she could, Zoisite led the three senshi to the cells below the audience chamber. The long, narrow prison wings radiated from a central space, making it impossible to reach them all quickly. Plus, the crude, iron locks and poor lighting slowed them down even further. It seemed to take forever, and Zoisite was getting more nervous by the minute, but Rei refused to leave until the last creature was freed.

"Now!" cried Zoisite, prying a youma off the front bars of its cage and tossing it into flight. "Get up to the kimon! The burning edge is getting closer! I can already feel it!"

"I can feel it too!" called Rei, herding a mob of the terrified creatures.

They tried to hurry, but the fleeing youma crowded the passages. They had to keep breaking up bottle necks and re-corralling. Finally, they got the creatures up into the audience chamber, with Rei driving them onward.

The disintegrating edge of Jigoku was almost upon them.

"The kimon!" screamed Zoisite, shoving the straggling youma ahead of her. "Get to the--" She suddenly saw Minako veer off to the left. "Venus! Where the Hell are you going?"

"That big crystal over there in the niche! There's a man inside!"

"Minako! We don't have time!" Zoisite and Makoto flew after her across the polished obsidian to where Jadeite stood.

"Omigod," said Makoto. "Is that Jadeite? He looks exactly like my old--"

"Can it!" snapped Minako. "We gotta blast him out!"

With energy attacks, Zoisite's ice shards, and a few hard kicks, they cracked enough of the crystal to free Jadeite's limp body.

"He's gonna need major therapy," said Minako, as she and Makoto draped him over their shoulders and hurried on to the kimon.

Zoisite raced alongside, until she spotted a small, lone youma clinging to a stalagmite.

"Shit!" She veered off, grabbed the youma and pried its claws from around the stone. Jigoku's edge was practically burning her heels.

Crushing the wailing creature against her, she flew with all her strength. The kimon was just about sixty feet ahead. The deafening silence of the edge drew closer. It burned cold, like liquid nitrogen. Zoisite could feel it on the bottoms of her feet.

"Almost . . . almost . . . "

She didn't even see the small, granite promontory blocking her path, until it knocked her back.

"She does have pink eyes," said Usagi. "This never happened on my side of the family. But they're kind of cute!" Seated on the royal-blue carpeting, leaning against a Slam Dunk game, she nursed Usa. It was almost dawn when Mamoru had helped her out of the kimon. Fortunately, their friend Motoki was opening the arcade that morning, and had let them in early. He would keep the door closed to customers until everyone was safely out of the kimon and rested.

It would've been a strange sight indeed--all these cut and bruised people in weird uniforms, camped around the video games.

Mamoru looked at the clock behind the counter. "It's been over an hour. What's keeping them?" Wiping sweat from over his lip, he knelt down beside Ami, who was sponging Kunzite's forehead with a paper towel. She had removed his cape and draped it over the latest incarnation of Super Robot Battle.

The ex-general was waking up again. His head lolled. He flexed his gloved fingers. "Where's Zoisite?" he said.

"She's on her way," said Ami in her gentlest voice, laying her hand on his chest.

"Maybe I should go out to the alley and check," said Usagi.

Mamoru stood up. "Stay here. There might be an explosion back there when the edge reaches the kimon. *I'll* check."

Outside, behind the building, he found Rei herding the countless, multi-colored youma out of the dark portal that hovered over the asphalt. They dispersed into the streets of Tokyo, growing more transparent until they vanished.

"Where is everyone?" said Mamoru, as the last of the youma escaped.

"Watch out!" came two voices. Minako and Makoto burst from the kimon, carrying an unconscious man. "Take cover!"

The kimon suddenly erupted like a geyser of broken bricks. Mamoru hit the pavement. Debris pelted his back.

Then all was quiet, but for the din of early morning traffic. Mamoru rose to his knees, shaking. He crawled to the huddle by the wall. "Everyone okay?"

The senshi lifted their faces and nodded. Minako was holding the man in her arms. Rei's fingers reached out and touched his cropped, blonde curls.

"Jadeite?" said Rei. "Is he alive?"

"He's breathing," said Minako. "But I wouldn't wake him up too fast."

Mamoru glanced about. The senshi were all here, and so was Kunzite and even Jadeite, but where was Zoisite? Numbness flashed through Mamoru's hands and feet. His stomach turned cold. He jumped up, searching wildly around the broken bricks.

"Wasn't she with you?" he said.

"Huh?" said Rei.

"Zoisite!"

Makoto gasped. "She was right beside us!"

"Where is she?" Mamoru frantically started tossing bricks, trying to find Zoisite under one of the little piles. His heart pounded. He couldn't lose her now! Not when they finally had a chance to mend things! He just *couldn't!*

"Mamo-chan--" said Rei.

"Help me find her!"

"Mamo-chan, she's not here! She must not have made it out!"

Mamoru clawed at the broken wall where the kimon had been. Tears streamed down his face. He didn't even notice that his tuxedo was gone, that he was suddenly wearing jeans and a T-shirt that said, "Hard Rock Cafe-Honolulu." Street clothes were also appearing on the senshi.

Rei hardened. "Your friends got out, Beryl's gone, and your wife and child are safe. You should stop crying and consider yourself lucky."

"Shut up, Rei," said Makoto. "Mamo-chan, do you want me to tell Kunzite?"

Mamoru shook his head. "I'll do it." With feet that felt like concrete blocks, he stood up and headed inside.

But when his foot fell on the threshold of the arcade's service door, he heard a man scream. He looked down the alley. It was the bum who lived in the refrigerator crate under the loading dock steps.

"This is my house!" shrieked the man. "Get out of my house!" Running toward Mamoru, waving his arms, he looked more terrified than angry. "My house! Get them out of my house!"

"Get what out of your house?" said Mamoru.

"Imps! Oni! I don't know! Get them out!"

*Oni in his crate? But only houses and buildings have kimon . . .* Mamoru's eyes widened. *That crate is the man's house!* Mamoru sprinted as fast as his long legs could move, daring to hope.

Diving under the steps, he tore the ragged curtain away from the box. The whole back of the crate had been blasted off, but two figures cowered inside, covered with soot.

"Zoe?"

"M-Mamo-sama!"

With a joyful cry, Mamoru sprang forward and caught her in his arms. He kissed her head, nose, and even her mouth, until his face was as grimy as her own.

"I thought you were lost!" he said through his tears.

"So did I. I wasn't even aware of this kimon. I must've fallen into it when I hit that rock."

"Who's this?" Mamoru lay his hand over the little, blue and orange striped youma who was still clutching the front of Zoisite's singed tunic. It had six legs, butterfly wings, and a face that looked almost human except for the proboscis.

"I pulled it off a stalagmite. It was too scared to fly." Zoisite gently pried open its tiny claws and nudged it into the open air. "Go on. You're free." But the creature climbed back up her arm and buried its face in her hair.

"Looks like you've got a new pet."

"I hope it's good with babies," said Zoisite. "Where's Kunzite-sama?"

"In the arcade, waiting for you. C'mon."

Zoisite hesitated. The sun was up, and the whole alley was flooded with bright, morning light. She crouched back into the crate's protective shadow.

"You don't have to fear the sun anymore," said Mamoru.

"Are you sure?"

"Give me your hand."

Zoisite let Mamoru slowly pull her from the crate. The box's owner was still hopping up and down the alley, ranting about oni in his house. The sunlight touched Zoisite's hand, then moved up her arm. Her skin looked so white!"

"I'm not burning!" she cried.

"You will if you stay out here long enough," said Mamoru. "The ozone layer's not as strong as it was a thousand years ago."

"What in the name of Darkness are you wearing? That looks awful!"

"You don't like this?" said Mamoru, looking down at his street clothes. "I haven't seen this shirt since I took over Crystal Yedo."

Zoisite stumbled and fell into Mamoru's arms. "I think I need to eat something."

"I'll bet you do. Let's get you inside."

In the arcade, Zoisite collapsed beside Kunzite. Taking his face in her hands, she covered him with kisses. His eyes fluttered open.

"Zoi-chan?" His voice was weak, but to Zoisite's ears, it was the sweetest music in all the worlds.

"It's me," she said, pressing her face to his heart. "I thought I'd never hold you again."

With obvious difficulty, Kunzite raised his arms enough to wrap them around Zoisite.

"Now that we've escaped the Dark Kingdom," he said. "What will we do without our powers? I don't remember how to live in this realm. And it's changed so much. Modern Tokyo."

"Don't worry," said Zoisite. "We'll manage somehow. If you can accept the child I'm carrying."

Kunzite's dour face cracked a smile. "I will love any child of yours."

"Even if it's Mamoru's?"

"He brought you back to me." Kunzite tipped his head back and shut his eyes.

"He's very weak," said Ami, sitting behind him, examining his torn ear. "But with a few day's rest, he should be fine."

"You guys can crash at my place," said Makoto, who had no parents and had lived alone in Tokyo. "Um . . . if I still have a place." She looked down at her shabby street dress.

"My wand is gone!" said Usagi. "So is Usa's! And what am I wearing?" She drew her knees together under the short, black skirt. "I haven't seen this outfit since . . . since . . . "

Luna and Artemis appeared from behind Super Robot Battle. "You've done your job," said Luna. "Our guardians are back with us, and Beryl should sleep for a good, long time. If the Dark Kingdom ever returns, you'll see your wands and fuku again."

"Does this mean we can't go back to Crystal Yedo?" said Usagi.

"There's no need."

"But are they all right up there? Did they win the battle?"

"Zoisite won the battle. I'm afraid the upper realm is closed to you now, but you can have your normal lives back."

"Yes!" screeched Makoto. "That's all I wanted! . . . I think. Boy, the rent for my apartment has gotta be way over due by now, and I ain't got a job."

Minako's shoulders drooped. "I never got to kick anyone's butt."

"You want a challenge?" said Luna. She hopped up onto a pinball game, featuring pictures of anorexic girls bound in leather and chains. "You've got two teen mothers trying to survive in the most expensive city in the world, where twelve-year-old girls are sold into prostitution, where brutality and subjugation is popular entertainment, and where *you,* Minako, will never enjoy the opportunities men have.

"And old scars don't heal with a single act of forgiveness. Zoisite's still going to need a great deal of emotional support, especially after the pregnancy, when she starts turning back to a *he.* Things will not be easy for any of you. But if you all vow to help one another, you may be all right."

Zoisite cuddled closer to Kunzite, rocked by the rise and fall of his breathing. The little youma had taken to his hair, and was snuggled against his cheek. Zoisite could no longer feel thorns, but she felt Mamoru's fingers stroking the back of her head, and Usagi's hand on her arm. Usa was making contented, little singing noises. Luna was right, of course. The cats were always right. But for now, everything was warm and peaceful. She closed her eyes.

Something kicked inside. "Oh!" she said.

Mamoru touched her face. "You okay?"

"It's our baby." Zoisite smiled. "Tell Mina she doesn't have to kick anyone's butt. This kid's already in training."

THE END


I hope you enjoyed reading my story as much as I enjoyed writing it. ^_^ Since I've taken such great liberties with Takeuchi's work, it's only fair that I invite other writers to "play in my garden." If anyone wants to write a sequel, prequel, or use Crystal Yedo, I would be delighted. And, of course, you may email me at johns877@tc.umn.edu